What is Coccydynia?
You ask what is Coccydynia? Coccydynia is a condition associated with pain and tenderness at the tip of the tailbone between the buttocks. The pain is often worsened by sitting. It is the result of inflammation of the bony area (tailbone or coccyx) located between the buttocks is referred to as coccydynia. Another name of this condition is known as tailbone pain.
The Coccydynia Facts
Diagnosis of Coccydynia is commonly based solely on the symptoms and the physical examination findings of local tenderness over the tailbone. By examining shingles, which is associated with local rash and other testing to exclude bone or tissue disorders doctors can exclude the possibilities of order condition.
What are the Causes for tailbone pain?
Injury is the main cause of Coccydynia, but it may occur spontaneously. There are many causes of tailbone pain which can make coccydynia, similar to sciatica, infection, pilonidal cysts and a fractured coccyx bone.
Symptoms of Coccydynia
Pain is the classic symptom when pressure is applied to the tailbone, such as when sitting on a hard chair. Symptoms usually improve with relief of pressure when standing or walking.
Other symptoms include:
- Pain during sex,
- Intense pain around the tailbone region,
- Pain during bowel movements,
- Moving from sitting to standing position cause immediate and sever pain
Treatment Options For Coccydynia
- Conservative treatment consists of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen and naproxen — to reduce inflammation,
- Heat, massage and ultrasonic treatment,
- Use of a therapeutic sitting cushion to take the pressure off of the tailbone when sitting,
- Coccygeal manipulation is used to move the coccyx back into its proper position and alleviate pain.
- Physical therapy, include exercise to stretch the ligaments, tissue that connects bone to bone in a joint — and strengthen the supporting muscles
- Use of a well-padded seat when sitting,
- Avoid long periods of sitting,
- Local cortisone injection,
The Cure For Coccydynia or Tailbone Pain:
Our doctor has to examine the patient, recommend conservative treatments if possible as indicated above. Coccygectomy or surgery to remove the coccyx is rarely recommended. Surgery is recommended in very severe cases where extensive conservative management does not control the pain of coccydynia. Infection and wound healing problem is the biggest risk associated with surgery. There is a significant risk that the surgery will not result in pain relief.
So make an appointment with us today. The sooner you start seeking consultation with our doctor, the sooner you’re recover from Cocccydynia or tailbone pain.
Consultation Strictly By Appointment Only!
预约电话：(65) 9653 4062
Call between 7am to 11pm daily to book appointment for normal hours!
Neck and Back: